699. We talk to Billy Augustine about his novel, Four Funerals in Mamou. His novel delivers an authentic
coming-of-age story rooted in small-town Louisiana culture,
following protagonist Dewey Fontenot after he flees his Cajun
hometown following a stint in jail, only to be repeatedly drawn
back years later by a succession of family funerals. A native of
Beaumont, Texas, who spent much of his youth visiting relatives
in Mamou, Augustine draws heavily on his real-life family ties
across Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana to craft a
humorous and real narrative about second chances, loud and
loving families, and the places that never truly let you go.
- Now available: Liberty in Louisiana: A Comedy. The oldest play about Louisiana, author James Workman wrote it as a celebration of the Louisiana Purchase. Now it is back in print for the first time in 222 years. Order your copy today!
- This week in the Louisiana Anthology.
Benjamine Butler. Butler's Book.
Touching his cap, he said: “General Williams’ compliments, and he bids me say to the general commanding that the mob is getting unruly, and asks for orders as to what shall be done with them.
“Give my compliments to General Williams, I answered quietly, and tell him to clear the streets at once with his artillery.”
The captain left with the message. The members of the city government all sprang to their feet, crying: “Don’t, General; Don’t give such an order as that.”
“Why this emotion, gentlemen?” I said. “The cannon are not going to shoot our way, and I have borne this noise and confusion as long as I choose to.”
“Wait a while, General, wait a while,” they said, “and we will go out and speak to the people and advise them to go away, and they will disperse.”
“Very well,” I said, “so they do disperse, I do not care as to the means; go out and try your hand at it.”
And so the mayor made them a speech from the balcony, but they jeered him to his face. Then another spoke, and they chaffed him, calling him all sorts of abusive names, and the speech-making rather increased the uproar.
I stood, a little withdrawn from the window, looking across the street, and I saw a man on the sidewalk having a piece of a United States flag in his button-hole. I inquired who he was and was answered that that was Mumford who had torn down the flag, and that it was a piece of it he wore in his button-hole. I told my orderly, who was standing near me, to take a look at the man so that he would know him if he saw him again.
Then the mob raised the cry: “Where’s old Butler? Let him show himself; let him come out here if he dare.” The cry was echoed around for a moment: “Where’s old Butler?”
I thought it my privilege to answer that call. I stepped forward on the balcony in full sight, with my cap in my hand, and looking on the crowd, as unmoved as possible, said: “Who calls me? I am here.” That answer brought a hush, and just at that time a wonderful noise directed my attention up St. Charles Street. The cause of it was in a moment apparent. The Sixth Maine battery, a finely equipped artillery company with six Napoleons, under Captain Thompson, had been encamped in Tivoli Circle. St. Charles Street, down which the battery was coming, was at that time paved with foot square granite blocks, which were in a very uneven condition. Thompson was one of the most dare-devil furious riders I ever saw, and he was leading his battery down the street as if there were nobody in it, every horse driven at the fullest speed and the bugles sounding the charge. No one who has not seen such a charge can imagine the terrible noise and clamor it makes, the cannoneers clinging to their seats, and the wheels of the guns bounding up inches as they thunder over the uneven stones. As I said, the mob was hushed. They turned their eyes on the approaching avalanche and then sought safety in flight. By the time Captain Thompson saluted as he went by, the whole street was cleared; and when he came “into battery” at the corner, with three guns to clear each street, the scene was as quiet as a children’s playground.
- This week in Louisiana history. October 9, 1940. McNeese Junior College lost its first football game to Southwestern Louisiana Institute 32-0.
- This week in New Orleans history. October 9, 1888: Warren Easton was appointed Superintendent of Public Schools, a position he used to transform the city's education system
- This week in Louisiana.
Zwolle Tamale Fiesta
October 10'12 (most recently confirmed dates; held the second full weekend of October)
Fiesta Grounds, 1100 South Main Street
Zwolle, LA 71486
Website: zwolletamalefiesta.com
Email: info@zwolletamalefiesta.com
Phone: (318) 645‑6111
The Zwolle Tamale Fiesta celebrates the town's Spanish and Native American heritage with three days of food, music, and community events centered around the region's famous hot tamales:
- Food Booths & Tamales: Dozens of vendors serving traditional hot tamales and regional dishes.
- Parades & Pageants: A fiesta parade, children's activities, and annual royalty competitions.
- Live Music & Crafts: Bands, dancing, artisan booths, and cultural demonstrations throughout the weekend.
- Postcards from Louisiana. Herlin Riley at Snug Harbor.
Listen on Apple Podcasts.
Listen on audible.
Listen on Spotify.
Listen on TuneIn.
Listen on iHeartRadio.
The Louisiana Anthology Home Page.
Like us on Facebook.
Listen on audible.
Listen on Spotify.
Listen on TuneIn.
Listen on iHeartRadio.
The Louisiana Anthology Home Page.
Like us on Facebook.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Please tell us what you think.
Thanks!