Friday, August 29, 2014

67. Discussion of Elizabeth Custer's Memoir, Part 1.

67. Part 1 of our discussion of Tenting on the Plains by Elizabeth Custer, the widow of General George Armstrong Custer. The Custers spent some time in Louisiana immediately after the end of the Civil War, and we discuss the portion of the book that covers their adventures in the Pelican State.
  1. This week in Louisiana history. August 29, 2005 Hurricane Katrina makes landfall in the New Orleans/Biloxi area causing an est. $25 billion dollars worth of damage and displacing over 1 million residents.
  2. This week in New Orleans history. The Causeway Opens
    August 30, 1956 The original Causeway was a two-lane span (now the southbound span), measuring 23.86 miles in length which opened on this date in 1956 at a cost of $30.7 million. A parallel two-lane span, 1/100th of a mile longer than the original, opened on May 10, 1969 at a cost of $26 million. Each span was the longest over-water bridge in the world when completed.
  3. This week in Louisiana. Creole Renaissance Festival The annual fete honors the Creole language, food, community, dance and music. Admission: $5-$15. Yambilee Fairgrounds, 1939 W. Landry St., Opelousas.
  4. Battle of New Orleans  September 4, 1814NO. V
    Letter from Mr. Laffite to Mr. Blanque Barataria.
    4th September, 1814.
    Sir,
    Though proscribed by my adoptive country, I will never let slip any occasion of serving her, or of proving that she has never ceased to be dear to me. . . . I may have evaded the payment of duties to the custom house; but I have never ceased to be a good citizen; and all the offence I have committed, I was forced to by certain vices in our laws. In short, sir, I make you the depository of the secret on which perhaps depends the tranquillity of our country; please to make such use of it as your judgment may direct. I might expatiate on this proof of patriotism, but I let the fact speak for itself. I presume, however, to hope that such proceedings may obtain amelioration of the situation of my unhappy brother, with which view I recommend him particularly to your influence. It is in the bosom of a just man, of a true American, endowed with all other qualities that are honoured in society, that I think I am depositing the interests of our common country, and what particularly concerns myself.  I have the honour to salute you,  J. Laffite.
Listen in iTunes.  
Like us on Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think.
Thanks!