53. Cody Sexton of the Tech Talk drops by and interviews Bruce and Stephen about the Louisiana Anthology project. Everything you wanted to know about the Anthology and much, much more.
- This week in Louisiana history. May 26, 2013. Episode 1 of the Louisiana Anthology Podcast
- This week in Louisiana.
28th Annual Zydeco Extravaganza
2235 Creswell Lane
Opelousas, LA 70570
Website | Email
- This annual event is a celebration of Opelousas being the home of zydeco music with live music, food and fun for the entire family. Music performances will feature some of our local zydeco finest on both indoor and outdoor stages.
- Zydeco Extravaganza was started in May 1987 by the Cravins Family as a way to revive the Creole culture in St. Landry Parish and surrounding areas. It was a natural extension of The Cravins Brothers Zydeco & Info Show, a local zydeco radio show hosted by Donald and Charles Cravins. The event, which started at the Blackham Coliseum, has since been moved to Evangeline Downs Racino in Opelousas, LA, allowing for an outdoor stage as well as an indoor stage in the recently built Event Center at Evangeline Downs.
- Zydeco Extravaganza draws zydeco fans from all over the country and world each Memorial Day weekend. Every year it features the ever popular amateur accordion contest, which is always a crowd favorite. Many of the winners have gone on to make names for themselves in the world of zydeco music with their talent. It is the largest one day zydeco festival in the world, with crowds numbering in the thousands. Zydeco's biggest names such as: Beau Jocque, Boozoo Chavis, Keith Frank, Terrance Simien, Curley Taylor, Geno Delafose, Zydeco Force, and Chris Ardoin have graced the stages of Zydeco Extravaganza. Its continued growth has been a tremendous asset to the revitilization of Creole culture.
Listen in Stitcher.
The Louisiana Anthology Home Page.
Like us on Facebook.